Sous Vide is a French cooking technique used in most high-end restaurants by professional chefs. It’s a method of food preparation wherein food is vacuum-sealed in a cooking pouch and cooked and heated in a precision cooker with the help of water circulation and even temperature.
With the latest innovations in cooking apparatuses, sous vide machines are now available in the market, making cooking using the technique more affordable and convenient while you’re in the comforts of your home.
Sous Vide machines are getting more popular with every passing year. Numerous brands are coming up with different versions of these machines, each having a set of ordinary and some unique features. Due to the differences in quality, manufacturing style and durability, sometimes the machines do not work as one would expect. Whether brand new or long used, these machines often have a tendency to let you experience some problems when using them.
This article is focused on some common problems that sous vide machines often have, their cause and the solutions you should be aware of.
Anova Continuous Beeping
Beeping from your machine may have 4 different reasons: the water has reached a low water level, the timer reached zero, you started or stopped your device, or your desired temperature has been reached.
It may be continuously beeping because the water has evaporated and gotten under the “min” line. When this happens, you just have to add water until the water level is above the said line. For an added prevention, ensure that your cooker is covered. If it still doesn’t stop, that means that steam has gotten into the head of the unit. Unplug and re-plug your unit to stop it.
The beeping might also be caused by your timer reaching to its stop, indicating that the cooking process has finished. For cookers that have a Wi-Fi feature, you can just turn it off through the app. For the ones with a Bluetooth connectivity feature, you have to stop it manually. If the beeping still doesn’t stop, unplug and re-plug it back.
Starting or stopping your device might make it beep constantly. The beeping should stop automatically. If it doesn’t stop, call or email Anova’s customer service.
Lastly, when your desired temperature is reached, your cooker will initiate beeps to notify you about it. The beeps should only be momentary and will settle down, thereafter. Should the beeping persist; a call or email to the customer service is recommended.
Anova Sous Vide Machine Troubleshooting
Here are some common problems that can be experienced when using the Anova sous vide machine, and how to solve them.
- Build Up on the Machine: The build up may most certainly noticeable, especially if the precision cooker has been used for awhile. Worry not as it’s easy to clean; you just have to use a soft toothbrush or a rag and a heavy-duty cleaner like ZEP Calcium Lime, Lime Away, or even just vinegar to apply.
- Loose Stainless Steel Sleeve: When cleaning the cooker, the metal skirt may be hard to re-attach or seem loose in place. To properly place it, ensure that the indentations on the sleeve align with the machine’s grooves and then twist it to the right such that it completely locks in place.
- Machine Cooker Doesn’t Go Higher than 99 degrees Fahrenheit: If this happens, make sure that your temperature unit is set with Fahrenheit as often times, the device us set on Celsius, and will give you the maximum temperature of 99 degrees Celsius. Convert the setting by just giving the Play icon a 3 second press or until the device beeps.
- Random Rebooting of Device: If this occurs, this may be caused by either of the two: poor power supply or a defective device. You must contact support in order to get your problem fixed in no time.
Nutrichef Sous Vide Beeping
The Nutrichef sous vide machine’s beeping cases most likely have the same causes as the previous product. Continuous beeping may be initiated because of a critically low water level. It can be stopped by adding water to it and placing a cover on the cooker for water evaporation reduction. Unplug and re-plug if the beeping doesn’t stop.
Constant beeping may also occur if your time setting has stopped to notify you that the food preparation process is all done. It should be stopped manually or through the app, depending on the device type. If the beeping persists, just unplug and re-plug the cooker back.
The beeping may also indicate that your desired temperature has been achieved. The beep will stop on its own, but if it still continues after awhile, contact support for more assistance.
Gourmia Sous Vide Keeps Beeping
These beeps may have quite the same causes with the Nutrichef and Anova precision cookers that have been tackled above. As what has been mentioned, there are reasons behind these annoying and worrying beeps from your device. The beeps may be caused by the machine’s water reaching a critically low level due to evaporation. To stop further beeping, unplug and re-plug the machine. If the beeping doesn’t still stop, be aware that steam may already have gotten into the head’s unit. Prevent this from happening by covering the cooker to reduce water evaporation inside.
When your assigned temperature has been finally reached, a beep is initiated to let you be aware of it. The beep should just be momentary and should stop on its own; however, if the beeping doesn’t stop, contacting support is recommended for further assistance.
Once the cooking process is done, beeps from the machine would be heard to notify you. Devices that have a Wi-Fi feature will have the access to turn it off through app. For devices with Bluetooth connectivity, you’ll have to manually turn it off. If the beeping doesn’t stop, unplug and re-plug the device back.
Gourmia Sous Vide Troubleshooting
Here are two common problems that can be experienced when using the Gourmia sous vide machine. After which, some maintenance points regarding the device are cited.
- EO2 in LCD Display: If the LCD reads EO2, then it means that the device’s digital thermometer is inoperable. Ensure that you contact support or the customer service to get this fixed.
- EO5 in LCD Display: The error code EO5 is shown while cooking when the machine doesn’t have enough water in it. To resolve this, turn the cooker off and proceed to add water. After that, restart the pod and you can, then, continue cooking.
MAINTENANCE POINTS TO KEEP IN MIND
- Slightly damp the cooker with a soft cloth when cleaning it. Ensure that before doing so, the pod has completely cooled down. Dry well.
- For storage, the cooker must be in a dry place. Refrain from wrapping or securing it with plastic.
- After a number of uses, especially if hard water is used for food preparations, de-scaling needs to be done. You just have to place the device in a container, attaching it with a clip. Add water in the container until it reaches the maximum water level line on the pod. Set the temperature to 158 degrees Fahrenheit and add 1 oz of citric acid de-scaling powder. When the temperature has been reached, provide about 20 minutes of water circulation in the machine. After the process, turn it off and unplug. Once cooled down, use clean water to rinse the bottom of the cooker and wipe it dry with a clean and soft cloth.
Anova Sous Vide Won’t Turn On
Another one of the problems encountered with the Anova sous vide machine is that it won’t turn on, driving people crazy about their cooker.
There are 2 main factors why your device won’t turn on and function: the power switch and the device itself.
If Anova’s system won’t really turn on, see to it that you check its power plug and power switch behind its display. You have to push the device’s power switch in order to make it work.
As mentioned above, the second factor may be the device itself. This means that what you got is actually defective. If you’ve tried it on multiple outlets and nothing works out, it’s recommended to contact support to get to know what you should do or if the item is qualified for replacement.
Sous Vide Not Working
Even though sous vide cooking machines are considered as one of the best innovations brought to the cooking industry, problems may still persist. One of which is the instance that the machine would not work.
A lot of factors are affecting this issue, stopping the machine from working. May the reason be due to setting problems, a defective device, or wrong usage, immediately take action to get your cooker fixed as these things kind of cost a fortune.
To try to start the machine, ensure that the unit is plugged into a working outlet. See to it that you give the switch button a 3 second press. If these things don’t work, you better contact support for further assistance about the matter.
Sous Vide Not Heating
Just like what has been mentioned in the above section regarding the sous vide machine not working, there may be a tendency that your appliance won’t heat.
To avoid this, make sure that you’ve filled the machine with enough water that reaches the line which indicates the ideal water level. Also, check the food pouches if they’re lying on the bottom of the cooker and blocking the holes of the grill. If all is well on your end, and the machine still won’t heat, it’s best to call customer service.